A Reliable Treatment for Droopy Eyelid and Lower Eyelid Bagginess
Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid surgery, is a very popular aesthetic plastic surgery among men and women. The procedure effectively treats droopy eyelid and lower eyelid bagginess. Mostly undertaken for cosmetic reasons, the eyelid surgery may involve removal of excessive skin, muscle, and fat from the eyelids, so the area around your eyes is sculpted.
While older people mostly use blepharoplasty to get rid of drooping eyelids that often obstructs their vision, younger patients often seek the treatment for genetically induced puffy eyes at the upper/lower or both eyelids. The puffy eyes can also result from metabolic problems like diabetes, thyroid issues, massive weight loss and the like. Geographic factors can also result in puffy eyes. For example, most of the people from many Asian countries have naturally puffy eyes.
The aesthetic quality and appearance of the eyelids become poor as a result of a number of factors, including aging, weight fluctuations, poor lifestyle, and poor health. According to a study published in the journal of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, aging, genetics, and associated factors trigger differential fat pad alteration in the eye area. The eyelids often stretch, the auxiliary muscles loose strength, and fat may accumulate in the area around the eyes. This leads to a condition whereby the eyebrows and eyelids become saggy and bags develop under the eyes.
When to Consider Blepharoplasty/Eyelid Surgery
You should consider the eyelid surgery/blepharoplasty if:
- Excessive, drooping skin is casing the natural fold of your upper eyelid
- Saggy, loose skin has developed in your upper eyelid that is swinging down your eyelashes
- Your lower and upper eyelids are looking swollen, causing your eyes to appear fatigued
- Narrow cuts or depressions have developed under your eyes
How is the Eyelid Surgery Performed
Blepharoplasty is a trendy cosmetic eye plastic surgery that is normally performed on an outpatient basis and under local anesthesia. Eyelid surgery is a major operation, so you should choose your plastic surgeon carefully. During the initial consultation, your plastic surgeon will examine your overall health, evaluate your eyelids, and determine whether you can be a good candidate for the procedure.
Eyelid surgery, also popular as eyelift, can be carried out on your lower eyelids, upper eyelids, or both. Your plastic surgeon will evaluate your facial muscle construction, bone edifice, and the proportion of your eyebrows, and then determine the amount of skin, fat, and/or muscle that need to be excised. The surgeon will then undertake the eyelid surgery, which normally involves the following steps:
- Exact markings in the upper and lower eyelids to specify the target areas for the surgical intervention.
- Placement of a tiny incision within the natural crease of the upper eyelid. Some plastic surgeon use laser technology to minimize the discomfort and post-surgical scarring and bruising.
- Placement of incision below the lower eyelashes in the lower eyelid. The incision may be placed within the lower eyelid if your surgeon thinks that more fat needs to be removed. If laser is usedduring this step, the patient will get better aesthetic improvements in the lower eyelid.
- The excessive skin, fat, and/or muscle will be removed by using a combination of laser, surgical equipment, and associated tools.
- If necessary, the fat will be reallocated in the lower eyelids to contour the area and remove the protrusions. During this step, the surgeon will use his/her sense of aesthetics and artistry to fix specific aesthetic flaws in the eyelids like muscle laxity.
- The surgeon will make sure that the eyelids are reconfigured and properly contoured. If needed, laser can be used to resurface the skin and level the wrinkles in the areas surrounding the eyes.
- Finally, sutures will be used to close the incisions and smoothen the eyelids. In most cases, absorbable suture are used.
When it comes to removal of skin during blepharoplasty, conservative approaches are sometimes used in particular patients, because excessive skin elimination from the lower eyelid can lead to the formation of hollowed spots in the target area, which can make the patient look abnormal or exhausted.
The specific techniques used during the eyelid surgery differ from surgeon to surgeon and patient to patient, depending mostly on the aesthetic needs, goals, and expectations of the patient. The use of laser technology makes the procedure pretty straightforward, more effective in terms of results, and less risky.
Advantages of Laser Eyelid Surgery
The use of laser during blepharoplasty/eyelid surgery comes with a number of benefits, including the following:
- The use of laser removes the need for incisions, which in turn prevents strain on the eyelids
- The use of laser minimizes post-operative bruising, pain, and swelling as it prevents the bleeding during surgery
- The healing will be smooth, the recovery will be free of discomforts, and you’ll have minimum downtime upto 7-10 days
- The muscles will be accurately tightened with laser and become elastic without any trauma to the eyes during surgery
- The eyelids will be aesthetically sutured/stitched
- Lesser risks and side effects and no bleeding
- You will be able to fly back home 3-4 days after the surgery
How to Select a Plastic Surgeon for Eyelid Surgery
The eyelid surgery is a major operation, which means that there are a number of side effects and potential complications associated with the procedure. In order to prevent the risks and minimize the side effects, you must choose your plastic surgeon very carefully.
Since any licensed doctor can legally perform surgeries, there are many general physicians who claim to be plastic surgery specialists or eye plastic surgeons. There are also many unlicensed practitioners who try to lure prospective patients through drastically reduced prices. In any case, you must steer clear of all such practitioners.
There are also many eye surgeons who carry out eyelid lift; however, you should keep in mind that eyelid lift is not an eye surgery; rather, it is an aesthetic procedure. An eye surgeon, therefore, cannot provide you better aesthetic results. You should be sure to choose only an aesthetic plastic surgeon to perform your eyelid lift procedure. In Turkey, the law does not allow eye surgeons to perform eyelid lift. Only aesthetic plastic surgeons can perform eyelid lift procedures in Turkey.
To find a reliable, trusted, competent, and experienced plastic surgeon, you should do your homework and use various reliable sources to find a trustworthy surgeon. One of the best ways to find a good plastic surgeon is to look at the credentials of the surgeon, including his/her education, specialization, trainings, and certifications. Also, ask your prospective plastic surgeon questions about his/her experience in eyelid surgery and the techniques he/she uses.
The most important factor you should look for when screening your potential plastic surgeon is his/her board certification in destination country, international society membership at his/her specialization, because board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons have extensive and diverse knowledge, experience, and training in different plastic surgery procedures, including blepharoplasty.
For example, if the surgeon is a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the Turkish Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic surgery, it is a green signal for you to go ahead.
Why Choose Us?
Harmonia Surgical Tourism is a household name in the aesthetic plastic surgery niche of Turkey. Based in Istanbul, the surgical tourism facility has been operating for more than 15 years now. We have already served clients from 43 countries by now, including the US, Europe, and Canada, and the numbers are continuing to grow. Below are some reasons why you should choose us for your blepharoplasty or any other aesthetic plastic surgery procedure:
- We are highly reputed for the provisions of laser eyelift surgery or laser
- Our facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art technologies, including FDA approved laser technology, equipment, and operation theaters.
- We have a highly competent staff and management who will make sure that your stay in Turkey is safe and delightful.
- We will take care of the visa process, your travel arrangements, hotel accommodation, hospital transfer and everything in between. You will be in our safe hands the moment you land in Turkey and throughout your stay in the country.
- We fully understand the international healthcare system, respect your culture, and ensure your privacy.
- We will provide you world-class aftercare service, and you’ll go home only after fully recovering from the surgical trauma.
- We have a team of highly experienced, board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons who undertakes the eyelid surgeries.
- Most of our surgeons have more than 10 years of experience in aesthetic plastic surgery.
- Being members of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the Turkish Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic surgery, our plastic surgeons always stay updated with the latest practices in eyelid surgery and other procedures through continuous trainings and education.
We perform eyelift surgery through the use of laser to ensure that our patients achieve their aesthetic goals with lower risks and minimum bleeding, scarring and bruising, and shorter downtime. Since the blepharoplasty is an aesthetic plastic surgery in Turkey, only an Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon who specializes in eyelift surgery will undertake your procedure.
It is pertinent to mention here that in Turkey, only Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons can legally perform blepharoplasty. In many part of the world, eye surgeons perform eyelid lift, which often leaves the patients with bad results. Eyelid lift is not an eye surgery but an aesthetic procedure; therefore, eye surgeons are not legally allowed to perform blepharoplasty in Turkey.
If you want to discuss your candidacy for the eyelid surgery, get an, online consultation with Harmonia Surgical Tourism now. Alternatively, you can call our Istanbul office at to book an appointment.